The unconventional 3D action game Mirror's Edge by EA DICE is about "runner" Faith, who is a mix of courier, agent and freestyle walker. Less than two months before the planned release on November 11 (Europe: November 13) for Xbox 360 and PS3, here are some details you might not have heard, yet:
- There will be 10 solo levels in the finished game.
- There will be 20+ Time Trial mode maps, which will be smaller parts of levels.
- In Time Trial mode, you must clear checkpoints (by touching them) in the right order. There's a target time you need to beat, and whenever you clear a checkpoint, the clock in your HUD flashes green (faster), white (tied) or red (slower).
- If you complete all 10 solo levels, you will unlock the "Speed Run" mode. This mode is similar to time trial mode, but you race across a whole solo level instead of just a small part of a level.
- Opponents include gangsters, normal street cops, SWAT snipers and assault teams.
- Runner Vision does not only highlight important doors or things to grab in the levels (in red color), but also mission critical enemies. These enemies are harder to run from than normal ones, and usually need to be attacked and beaten.
- Some of Faith's attacks are much stronger when she's got momentum, e.g. jumping at high speed at an opponent after having completed a chain of "moves".
We're certainly looking forward to the demo version of Mirror's Edge which is supposed to come out before the release date. We also hope that we do not have to wait too long for the PC version (which, in our estimation, should be the best looking, especially in terms of how far you can see).